Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Before and After- Girls' Dresser

It's no secret that I am a complete cheapskate when it comes to some things. Furniture is one of those things. A surprising amount of our furniture was acquired free, or very cheaply secondhand. My desk in the "dining" room was a freebie, along with the bookcase that sits next to it. The red dresser in that same room was $25 plus the cost of paint. Our kitchen table is from a consignment store. The girls' beds used to belong to my brother when he was a kid, the sofa-bed upstairs is a cast-off from a friend. The boys desk. The hutch in the kitchen. The upstairs TV cabinet. You get the idea. I don't like spending a lot of money on stuff that I can score for free. Especially when my dear family is still in the "football in the house and sometimes eat pizza on the couch" phase of life. In other words, things in my house need to be functional, but not overly valuable or costly. Because chances are they are going to get milk spilled on them or markers colored on them.

Where was I? Oh, yes. A few months ago, (I am SO far behind on blogging) we picked up a dresser from Goodwill for a mere $30.

It was not in the best of shape...

Harper's potty training meant good-bye to the changing table that got when I was pregnant with Dane. Good bye forever. FOREVER!! So we needed a bit of extra storage in their room for all of her new princess panties.

I sanded a bit. Hemmed and hawed over paint colors. Pinterest-ed a few ideas. Spray painted the hardware, and tried my hand at glazing for the first time.

And the finished product:
I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

I think I can make it work in their room for the next several years anyway. And the best part? For $30 and a little elbow grease, if it gets Sharpie-markered at some point, it's not the end of the world.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous job, Mandy! Love the colors you chose, too. Can't wait to see them in person.

lindy said...

Ummm...CUUUUUTE!!!

The Driskells said...

Nice!!!!

Zach and Alyson said...

super cute and I love the lines of the dresser. I would totally have picked it up for only $30. Good Job!

Brand al Thor said...

elfriThat is funny that you think there will be a time when football in the house and pizza on the couch don't exist...you do realize you're stuck with me right? - Brandon

Adrienne said...

Looks awesome! Great job!

Angela Stoltzfus said...

i know that you posted this a month ago-but i was looking at some of your older posts & for some reason it just now "hit me" that the dresser is the exact same one that i had as a kid!!! o my! memories!! so fun to see it re-done & in your home!!!