Friday, September 19, 2008

Survived Ike

We are alive and well after Hurricane Ike, I just wish I can say the same for my house and van (yes, "and van").  A big giant tree uprooted in our backyard and crashed through our house very early on Saturday morning.  Fortunately, we (and Val, Izzy, and baby Joel), were having a big slumber party downstairs when the tree came crashing through our bathroom, closet, and bedroom.  Part of the tree broke off and hit our van, which was parked in the driveway.  

But God is good.  And we are safe.  We have moved out of the house temporarily and are living with my very gracious aunt and uncle about 20 minutes away.  There is extensive roof and water damage in about half of the house, and pieces of ceiling keep caving in.

The van is already at the dealership waiting on the insurance adjuster (which could take up to two weeks, apparently.)  In the van, a large branch went through the back half, breaking the rear window and 2 back windows and flooding the interior with the several inches of rain we received Saturday.  The windshield is cracked, and something is making a very bad noise under the hood when you drive it now.  It's just not looking good for my little blue van.

But we are safe and sound, with wonderfully generous family and friends.  It's been a rough week, one without electricity from Friday night through Tuesday afternoon, unpredictability, filled with family and friends eager to help out in any way they can.  Gas earlier this week was very hard to come by, and most grocery stores are still not fully stocked.  Schools are out at least for the rest of this week, and we have not heard when most of the schools will resume.  (Dane and Aidan go back to their little school on Tuesday.  I told you God is good.)  Some districts in other parts of town are closed indefinitely.  

Dane and Aidan are doing very well with all of this-- it is the "Big Adventure".  Every now and then when Aidan gets frustrated, he will cry "I want to go home".  I just want to hug him and say, "So do I.".  We brought their scooters with us, and every day so far Brandon has taken them on adventures in the walking trails in my uncle's neighborhood.  They come home with stories of acorns and sticks and Ninja Turtles, of course.  There is an abundance of new-to-them toys to play with here, and we have seen quite a bit of our friends in town, since many of us have not had work or school this week.

At this point we really have no idea how long we will be "displaced" by this hurricane.  The tree is finally being removed from the house today, 7 days after it fell.  It will take a crane to remove, and cranes are apparently very expensive and in very high demand at the moment.  As soon as we have power on at the house (I turned it off out of concern for exposed wires, water, etc.), and feel safe that enough of the water damage has been taken care of, hopefully we can move into our guest room while they finish the repairs.  

Thank you to everyone who has been praying for our little family during all of this.  It has been greatly appreciated!  We'll keep you posted. 


Janna, Brennan and Lyndlee said...

sorry to hear of all our troubles, glad you are all safe, we are praying for you guys! much love.

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

GASP!! Oh, I am SO sorry. Wow.

Praise God you were not all hanging out in your master bed, like half my family was!!

Ugh. This is when you have to keep reminding yourself - it is a temporary problem, it can be fixed, it is a temporary problem - but I am so sorry you are dealing with such a headache :(

Deb said...

Mandy, you and your family are in our prayers and thoughts. If you get tired of Uncle Tom come to Kentucky and visit Cousin Tom and Cousin Deb. Ike visited our state, but not like Texas. You know Texas always liked to do things bigger than Kentucky! Seriously, we are thinking about you guys and know the Lord is good in many ways and He will never give us more than we can bear.

Love you all.

Becky said...

Glad to know that you are ok. We still don't have power. 9 days!!! Hence the reason we weren't at church this morning; no alarm clock. We woke up at 9:15. I need a playdate.

smileyyaf said...

Mandy, I'm so sorry you had such damage to endure - yet again!! I'm thankful you all are safe!!

Jana said...

We are so sad you are having to deal with this (again). On the plus side, you have 2 fewer trees to worry about next hurricane...hmm:)

Jack S. said...

Sry to hear about everything that you are having to go through. Give the boys a huge from Francie & me and hope that your life can get back to normal soon.

Anonymous said...

Mandy, Mandy, Mandy,
After looking at the pictures you posted of your home I feel compelled to make a few observations. First, I'm surprised that you have turned out to be such a messy housekeeper. Especially since you only work part-time and all. We usually keep our towels folded and in the linen closet. (that's what it's for.) And you should never leave water just standing on the floor as pictured. The warm, humid environment is a breeding place for germs. A nurse should know these things. I know you young people like to "do it yourself" but I would suggest you contact a real contracter to finish out the sky-light and pool projects. Just digging a hole and filling it with water does not a pool make. The whole place just looks a mess and I'm reminded of what my late aunt would say... "place looks like a tornado hit it !"
Also I have found that if you pay your electric bill on time you don't have to schedule those late month "VISITS" to the uncle's house as often. Now I know you were brought up better by the King and Queen as their home is immaculate and I know how you young'ns like to rebel (Bob also turned out to be a slob) but just remember this "A place for everything and everything in it's place." Have you thought how nice a crystal dish of potpourri would be? I'm not even gona mention the landscaping. You have a lot to do, better get off your butt and go to work. (I'm sorry I said "butt").
Love ya,