Friday, October 7, 2011

Grammy and GranDoug Weekend

I know I'm a little late with the Weekend Recap (hello, Friday night, it's lovely to see you.)

I would like to pause for a quick moment to share with you that the windows in my bedroom have been OPEN at night for the last several evenings, and I am so, so happy to feel that cool breeze on my face in the mornings. I am officially in love with the month of October. Me+October=LOVE 4Ever.

Back to last weekend. It started off Thursday evening, with Aidan getting off the bus, finding his way to the couch, and curling up for the next 3 hours or so. He complained of his "arms and legs hurting", and by 7pm was running a fever. Awesome. The good news is, he made it till 3am before puking all over the carpet next to my bed. So, Friday morning saw us in the pediatrician's office getting an antibiotic for strep throat. Because what better way to kick off a fun-filled weekend with grandparents and perfect weather than with strep throat?

Friday evening Grammy and GranDoug arrived for a weekend visit, and, as we would soon realize, some chore-finishing. No one visits our house without being assigned at least a couple of tasks to complete. Mi to-do-list es Su to-do-list :) Friday evening, Brandon, his parents, and Dane and Emerson loaded up and headed out to watch a high school football team lose an agonizing game against their cross-town rivals. I don't need to tell you how excited Emerson was to be going to a football game. Girlfriend is ENTHUSIASTIC. My Friday evening was spent at home cleaning up unthinkable amounts of vomit from the kitchen floor, wondering how can super-skinny Aidan can manage to expel such enormous quantities of gastric contents. It just doesn't seem possible that the volume of vomit I scrubbed from the floor should have even been able to fit inside his stomach.

With Grammy and GranDoug sleeping in the girls' room that night, the girls slept on a pallet on the floor in our room. I don't know if I've mentioned this or not, but Harper is a VERY light sleeper. She typically wakes up on her own a time or two at night, falling back asleep on her own after a few minutes of fussing. It's likely that with her normal sleep cycles, she just wakes up during the "light sleep" part, instead of staying asleep. Not usually an issue, except when she wakes up on the floor in Mommy and Daddy's room at 3am and decides it's Singing Time. Then she realized that she wasn't in her own room and at 4am made up her mind that "Mommy, I go to MY bed now", sprinting across the house with her half-asleep Mommy catching her right before she opened her bedroom door and woke up her grandparents.

I would like to take a moment to thank the inventors of coffee for getting me through last weekend.

By Saturday morning, Aidan seemed on the mend, so we loaded him up on his antibiotics and Motrin and all headed out to a Fall Festival fundraiser benefitting our local assistance ministry. I have to remind myself sometimes that I'm not overpaying when it's a fund raiser to benefit those in need within my community. Because I would just sound like a stingy miser if I complained about overpaying at a Fall Festival when it benefits those in need. So I would never complain about that.

The good Lord provided perfect weather for us Saturday morning, and we enjoyed a few hours filled with inflatables,

little train rides, balloon animals, and (the hit of the morning) face painting.

Please don't ask me what Emerson is supposed to be here.

And the little sister could not have been prouder of her pretty flowers.

The boys were far too manly to have glittery flowers on their cheeks, so here's what they got instead:

We grabbed lunch and headed home for naptime and to give Grammy and GranDoug an opportunity to help us out with a couple of items on the never-ending Honey-Do list. Grammy finished up the artwork for the boys' room that we have been working on for the past month, and GranDoug and Brandon took care of a broken doorbell and some tree work in the backyard. Like any good Saturday afternoon this time of year, football was watched and naps were taken. I headed out with a (now non-contagious) Aidan and Emerson to a friend's birthday/water party while more artwork was painted and more football was watched. Saturday wrapped up (vomit-free) with a yummy dinner of chicken tacos and pink dip, and an early bedtime for this tired Mommy. I'd love to tell you that Harper slept through the night without singing a very loud rendition of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" to her sleeping sister at 3am, so I will.

Sunday morning, Aidan spent three hours laying on the couch complaining of not feeling well, so I kept him home for the morning while everyone else went to church and then to Brandon's soccer game afterwards. I needed Aidan to rest and start feeling better pronto, because Sunday and Monday were big, fun, busy days.

On the schedule? Number One on the Bucket List: The State Fair of Texas.

Fortunately, Aidan rested up and was still fever and vomit-free when we loaded up the van and headed to DFW on Sunday afternoon.

Stay tuned for our Fair Adventure 2011 (as soon as I can plow through the 500 pictures that were taken last Monday!)

P.S. Someone googled "ugliest sweatpants ever" and landed on Outnumbered. I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Or clean out the boys' closet.


Adrienne said...

Looks like it was a fun weekend! I love Dane's long hair--so cute! I also love Aidan's "tough face" in the picture where he and Dane are showing off their snake tattoos. :)