Monday, August 17, 2009

Fun Weekend

I've been having a desire to bake lately.  I enjoy baking chocolate chip cookies from scratch, and I have several cakes that I love making, but I've been wanting to try my hand at something different.  Different for me, anyway.  Every now and then, I find myself on this website, drooling over all the cutesy things she comes up with in the kitchen, wondering if I am capable of making something edible look this cute.  So I decided to try my hand at these, with the full expectation that mine would come out looking like some sort of red alien, and nothing like actual apple-cake pops.

But look!  They kind of do look like apples.  Or strawberries.  Not perfect, but not too bad for my first attempt at cake balls, if I do say so myself.
I also tried a few of these guys:

Sometimes when he's feeling rebellious, he likes to grab a friend or two and hang out in the shot glass that my husband brought back from a mission trip:
Friday night we went up to our church to do a little fishing in our quickly-getting-overpopulated pond.  Aidan caught a Tilapia (it's catch and release, so no fish gutting for this mommy).  He was pretty proud of himself, even if he was a little afraid of the fish.
Thursday night we stopped by my Uncle Tom and Aunt Carol's house for old times' sake.  Unfortunately, Harper went from happy to vomiting to fussy to sleeping in a time span of about 15 minutes or so, and I didn't get any pictures of her with her extended family.  Dane and Aidan ran around chasing each other and had their shirts off within about 5 minutes of our arrival.  Figures.

And the brothers have decided that Harper needs her own hat.  Dane and Aidan have these cute knit hats with their names on them, and Harper loved trying Dane's on for size.  I guess it helps a bit that she's not quite coordinated enough to pull the hat off her head.
We are gearing up for a week of pre-kindergarten jitters (mine, not Dane's) and Aidan's upcoming 4th birthday.  (His birthday is Monday the 24th, which also happens to be Dane's first day of school.  But the birthday party is over Labor Day weekend.)  

Happy Monday!

5 comments:

Andy said...

haha! thats one way to place an order, put me down for one too! Andy is spelled A-N-D-Y

Thanks Aunt Joanie!

Love, Andy

Anonymous said...

OOOH!!!! Andy busts Mandy!!!!
BTW... Harper looks like a little girl I used to know... I guess all moms need a clone.

joansloan said...

Not to worry......I got the hint and I am working on Harper's order.
What a cutie...

Adrienne said...

Mandy, I am totally impressed with your Martha Stewart/Bakerella skills! Way to go! :o)

Mandy said...

Joanie! How did you know Harper wanted a new hat? You are so intuitive ;)